Frankies Spuntino: Roasted Beet and Avocado Recipe
In addition to the delicious Cavatelli recipe from Frankies Spuntino, the Roasted Beet and Avocado salad was a “must order” every time I visited their (now closed) location on New York’s Lower East Side. This salad made me fall back in love with beets, which I had avoided for years…the avocado counteracts the taste of the beet perfectly, and I promise you will love this as it’s own meal, or as delicious dinner party pleaser.
© Simon Watson
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 3 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
A surprise ingredient—a puree of the squat Italian cipollini onion—thickens and sweetens the mustard dressing on this wintry salad of earthy roasted red beets and chunks of silky avocado.
- 4 medium beets (about 1/2 pound each), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1 cipollini onion, finely chopped, or 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet Spanish or white onion
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil or other mild vegetable oil
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a small baking dish, rub the beets with olive oil. Add the water and season with salt and white pepper. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool, then peel the beets and cut them into 3/4-inch pieces. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the chopped onion with the red wine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and honey. Season with salt and white pepper and blend until smooth. With the machine on, add the grapeseed oil and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a steady stream.
- Add the avocado to the roasted beets. Pour the onion dressing on top and toss gently to combine. Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve.
MAKE AHEAD The roasted beets and dressing can be refrigerated overnight.